September 21, 2017
Prayer by Mrs. Tricia Glidewell, STEAM Coordinator
Good morning, Marist. Today is International World Peace Day. Hmmm… International World Peace Day. World Peace…. Now that’s something that sounds like a great idea! Who wouldn’t want international peace? Perhaps you pray regularly for peace in the world at large. Keep doing it! If you don’t, start! Sometimes maybe it seems like too much to ask for – something that seems out of reach. Perhaps you ask yourself what can one person do to impact peace between all people in all the world. The answer you probably come up with is “Not much!”
There are lots of scriptures that refer to peace. You know them as well as I do:
Jesus said, “I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace.” (John 16:13)
In Hebrews, we hear, “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy.” (Hebrews 12:14)
“Peacemakers who sow in peace reap a harvest of righteousness.” (James 3:18)
In Proverbs, we find “Deceit is in the heart of those who plot evil, but those who promote peace have joy.” (Proverbs 12:20)
I came away from a study of these scriptures with the idea that they aren’t about international peace; they’re about peace between individuals and within groups of individuals. Mother Teresa said, “Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and start with the person nearest you.” So the question for me is, “How can I promote peace in my little corner of the world?” Let’s start there. What would that look like?
- Maybe it looks like not intentionally doing something to my sister that I know will push her buttons and cause a meltdown.
- Maybe it looks like not blowing my horn at the person who is being slow to make a turn in front of me or doesn’t pull off as soon as the light turns green.
- Maybe it looks like taking a deep breath to keep myself from saying something harsh or hurtful when someone hurts me or makes me angry.
- Maybe it looks like changing the subject when I am with friends who begin to say critical things of another person.
- Maybe it looks like choosing to share humorous or life-building quotes and stories on social media.
- Maybe it looks like reaching out and being nice to that person in my life who always seems to be angry or negative.
- Maybe it looks like giving someone else the benefit of the doubt before I judge or react harshly.
I ask you, “What does peace in your little corner of the world look like today?” And “What are you going to do about it?” What if spreading peace was like catching the flu? Would you be contagious?
Let us pray: Lord, open our hearts and minds to living in peace with others. Give us eyes to see the opportunities we have to promote peace with those all around us. Give us a yearning to exhibit your peace so that others may be inspired to do the same. In your holy name we pray, Amen.
Mary, Seat of Wisdom, pray for us.